This collection contains items from the Library of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
The history of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh touches five centuries. Founded in 1670 as a garden for growing medicinal plants, the collection of living plants has expanded from 2000 separate taxa enumerated in the first plant catalogue for the garden, “Hortus Medicus Edinburgensis” (1683) to over 20 000 separate taxa currently in cultivation in Edinburgh and three satellite gardens at other Scottish locations. The garden in Edinburgh has been at its current location since 1820.
The Library collection is the largest and most diverse collection of botanical and horticultural and related works in Scotland, and has national collection status.